Forget the milk and cookies. Santa snacks on buttermilk and seasoned, roasted pecans when he visits Rosie’s home on Christmas Eve.
Rosie loves whole buttermilk,which he cannot find anywhere anymore (so please email us
if you know where to get some)—and usually leaves it for Santa to drink.
For snacks, Santa enjoys Cajun-seasoned, roasted pecans, a specialty of Rosie’s mom. Here’s the recipe:
- Pecan halves (2 cups)
- Melted butter (1/2 stick or 1/4 cup)
- Salt to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Spread pecan halves in a single, thin layer on a baking sheet.
- Season pecans with a little salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper (as much or as little as you like).
- Pour the butter over the seasoned pecans. Roll the pecans in the butter so all sides are coated.
- Bake for seven minutes at 350 degrees. Test after seven minutes and turn off the oven. If you like crisper pecans, leave them in the oven—turned off—for up to 10 minutes more. Test frequently.
- Store roasted pecans in an airtight container.