Rosie's Accidental Poisoning Prevention Plan
Nearly everybody keeps some sort of toxic products in the home or garage, even if they don’t know it.
Cleaning products, antifreeze, windshield-washing fluid, gasoline, pool chemicals, lighter fluid, and many more can make anyone who drinks it mighty sick, or worse.
Don’t let accidental ingestion happen to anyone in your family.
Take precautions when you store or use anything that says “caution,” “warning” or “danger” on the label.
Here are some tips:
- Colorful liquid cleaners can look a little like fruit punch. To make sure nobody drinks them, keep them in their original containers. Never store them near food or drinks.
- Store potentially hazardous products in a locked cabinet or high out of reach so small children can’t find them.
- Keep medicine, even vitamins and mouthwash, under lock and key as well.
- Don’t mix products, even if it’s a different brand of the same kind of thing. You never know how the two will react.
- Protect your skin and eyes when you use chemical products by wearing eye protection (glasses or safety glasses), rubber gloves and long sleeves.
- Open the windows in the room where you’re using a product like oven cleaner, bleach, paint thinner, etc. to allow proper ventilation of fumes.
- If you have any gas or wood-burning appliances, install a carbon monoxide detector in each bedroom.
Write this number next to every phone in the house, and add it to your cell phone address book: 1-800-222-1222. This is the phone number for Banner Poison Control Center in Phoenix. Call it if you suspect someone in your household has ingested a poisonous substance. You'll be connected with a local poison control expert.
If you are not in the Phoenix area, you can perform an internet search for "local poison control" for your area. If you are ever uncertain as to the severity of the injury, you can always dial 911.