9/12/20 Talking Trees: #TreePlanting & the #ArizonaRosewood
Grab a pen and paper, we've got lots of great information to go over!
Special Guest: Dave Jernigan of Gardener's Touch Landscaping
Tree of the Month: Arizona Rosewood | Scientific name: Vauquelinia californica | More Info
Monthly Tree Planting Tips for September:
These questions & more are answered in the podcast segment below
- Cooler temps? Is Fall in the air?
- Overseeding your lawn?
- If possible, prune trees first to avoid dragging brush over the new lawn. Timing?
- Turf Health | Aeration, fertilization, insect and disease problems in turf
- Late season fertilization starts now through November:
- Fall fertilization may be the most important application for overall tree health
- Soil additives and amendments:
- Biological soil enhancer/Kelp extract/Humic acid/Citric acid/
- Wetting agent-Surfactant/Beneficial soil bacteria/Mycorrhizae
- Rake your fall leaves and make a compost pile, ready by spring.
- Apply 2-inch layer of wood chips beneath your trees.
- Wood chips:
- Moderate soil temperature
- Reduce water loss through evaporation
- Promote nitrogen cycling
- Improve soil microbiology
- Reduce runoff and erosion
- Control dust
- Control weeds
- Pruning can resume, especially mesquites and other trees that require 2x per year pruning.