The best way to keep spiders and scorpions out of your house is to keep crickets out of your house. To spiders and scorpions, crickets are gourmet food!
Here are some ways to keep spiders out and how to get rid of them once they get in:
- Destroy spider webs as soon as you see them.
- Regularly dust the corners of your ceilings and behind always-open doors.
- Turn off your outdoor lights. They attract the flying insects that spiders like to eat.
- If you have scorpions or black widows, which can be dangerous, call a pest-control professional to get rid of them.
- Seal off holes and cracks in your walls and foundation and on your roof so they can’t sneak through them.
- Keep your house clean. Spiders love to hide in dusty areas that you rarely disturb, and they hang out around food because other bugs—the ones spiders like to eat—are attracted to it.
- Look for spiders when you drag things out of dark closets or your attic.
- Store your extra clothes and wrapping paper in plastic containers with tight-fitting lids instead of in spider-attracting cardboard boxes.
- Use a leaf blower to clean shelves, corners and floors in your garage. Spiders are unlikely to hang out in a garage with a lot of activity.
Keep spiders out of your house and in your garden, where they will keep down the population of flies and other pests.