In a society where the majority of Americans get their news on TV and spend countless hours being entertained by TV, Smartphones, game consoles and other electronic devices, how would you keep your family entertained if the power was out for a few days? And not just activities to do inside either, especially with children who will go still crazy without exercise. Fifty years ago this article would be a laughing stock if it was referred to as a ‘preparedness’ article because outdoor activity was a standard of living.
Here are some other basics items to consider.
- Sporting Gear, i.e. a football, baseball & glove, horseshoes, bocce ball, etc.
- Rope & knot tying
- Compass Games
- Three Leg Races
- If the outage is during the summer, backyard swimming pools will be the neighborhood gathering place.
- If you have a scouting book, there are plenty of educational activates that can be turned into fun games for not only the house, but the whole street!
- Books: Recreational & Educational
- Building Blocks
- Playing Cards
- Musical Instruments
- Board Games
- Art & Craft Supplies
- Have fun and see if you can make up your own family game
- Pets – Read more on our Pet’s for Preparedness article.
For more information on emergency preparedness, visit our Home Preparedness Resource Guide