How do I change a filter in a window air conditioner?
In a window air conditioner, the filter is located inside the unit. Here’s how to change it:
- Turn the air conditioner off.
- Take the cover off of the front of the air conditioner; you might be able to pop it off, but you might have to unscrew it. You’ll see the filter behind it.
- Remove the filter. Again, you might be able to push it out, but some models are screwed in.
- Most window a/c filters are reusable, so instead of replacing the filter, you will clean it. Shake or vacuum the dust off of it, and then rinse it with soapy water in the laundry sink or with a hose outdoors.
- After the filter is completely dry, place it back into the window unit and replace the front cover.