How can I get rid of ants around my house and yard?
If you'd like to catch up or follow along on our ant journey in search of an eradication method that is effective, yet acceptable to all, below are the links to the segments covered on air, in chronological order. If you are just looking for the quick answers and all the recourses and methods you've heard us laughing about with our callers simply scroll to suggestions from listeners.
Part 1: Original ant question that spawned many.
It was actually an email from a listener that Romey read on air during the garden hour to Jay's Harper.
May 23rd, 2009 Archive Page
That following week Romey read several letters to Rosie & Jay Harper with suggestions homeowners sent during the week with advise to their home remedy solutions for ants.
May 30th, 2009 Archive Page
Yet another letter was covered from a listener who was less than pleased with our suggestion as they viewed it a harmful product to the environment.
June 6th, 2009 Archive Page
Suggestions from listeners:
Complete compiled list of recommendations from the hosts, listeners and Rosie on the House exterminations partners.
- Small Apple slices (kills the queen ant due to digestive problems)
- Corn meal (may harm bird digestion, use with caution)
- Grits (safe for bird digestion)
- Cinnamon (deterrent only)
- Avon Skin So Soft in a spray bottle, diluted with water
- Diatomaceous Earth also commonly referred to as D.E.
- Amdro (FDA approved formula and less toxic than table salt)
- Max Force (FDA approved formula)
- Kerosene (may harm soil for planting) mixed with Moth Crystals (more toxic than moth balls to kill certain bugs)
For additional information on controlling the ants and other pests visit Blue Sky Pest Control.